Hearing loss, the number one disability in the world, is commonly associated with exposure to excessive or chronic noise. Consider the following:
- Nearly 55 million Americans suffer from hearing loss to some degree.
- Hearing loss is the most prevalent and
the most preventable disability in the world.
- According to a recent study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, 15% of children experience aural impairment in one or both ears.
- Nearly 90% of people over the age of 80 suffer from hearing loss.
- Three out of every 100 school-aged children are hearing impaired.
- Sixty percent of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees are hearing impaired.
- Baby-boomers are the fasting growing population in America and are experiencing hearing loss at an alarming rate.
Poor acoustic conditions can compound existing
noise problems, contributing to hearing loss.